This 1956 Fiat Multipla is a largely original left-hand drive example with an indicated 11k km (~7k miles) from new. Around 243,000 Multiplas were produced over 13 years, with many seeing use as Italian taxis and few surviving in nice unrestored condition today. This uncommon first-year example was likely imported after military service and reportedly spent 40 years with its original owner.
Designed to seat four in relative comfort and six in a pinch, the spartan interior appears almost entirely original.
Out back, the water-cooled 633cc inline-four has received recent cosmetic attention and hoses, plug wires, and engine mount all look fresh. Induction is from a single downdraft carburetor topped by a factory air box, while electrics remain fed from an original-style generator. With approximately 22 original horsepower and meant for city use, the Multipla topped out at just under 60 mph in period tests.
A 633 cc, Multipla, was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1956 and was found to have a top speed of 57.1 mph (91.9 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-50 mph (80 km/h) in 43.0 seconds. A fuel consumption of 38.4 miles per imperial gallon (7.36 L/100 km; 32.0 mpg-US) was recorded.
This 1965 Toyota Land Cruiser is a restored example from relatively early in the model’s long production run. The truck is powered by a 3.9 liter straight-six paired to a 3-speed manual transmission and features the folding rear door, small windows, and other details of an early example. The 3.9 liter straight-six is unmodified and resides in a nicely detailed engine bay.
This car has the corrugated sides. Mike liked the unusual color. We did a lot of freshening to this example. This car is for sale because of the lack of space in the museum.
There have been few automobiles in modern history that exploded upon the scene quite like the Citroën DS did upon its debut at the 1955 Paris Motor Show. It, quite frankly, set the automotive world upon its ear with incredibly futuristic streamlined styling by Flamino Bertoni. (Yes, this most iconic of French automobiles was designed by an Italian.) Yet, the breathtaking styling of the DS was the least of its marvels. The steering wheel turned on a single spoke, providing a ready view of the dashboard instruments. The brake pedal was simply a button in the floor. The drivetrain was a remarkable combination of front-wheel drive, servo-assisted front disc brakes, hydraulically assisted steering, and fully independent hydro-pneumatic suspension with automatic ride control.
Simply put, the DS was a spaceship by the standards of its time. Yet in the first day of its exhibition at Paris alone, the factory had collected 749 orders of the car; by the end of the event, orders numbered well over 12,000; and by the time the ever-evolving DS series ended production 20 years later, 2,786,000 had been built and sold all over the world. Thus, the DS is remembered today as one of the most successful automobiles of all time, alongside such similar legends as the Ford Mustang and Volkswagen Beetle.
The “ultimate” DS 23 shown here represents the peak of the DS’s engineering and styling evolution, with the most powerful engine and best-developed chassis. Even more special, it is a European-specification model, with such desirable features as a five-speed manual transmission and headlamps that turn with the front fenders. Acquired by its current owner, a prominent Southern California collector and longtime Citroën enthusiast, in France in 2004, it received a transmission, clutch, and motor service by a French specialist the following year. Shortly thereafter it participated in the 50th Anniversary of the DS by being driven, by the owner and his wife, from Cannes to Paris, where it was used in a parade on the Champs-Élysées amidst much press coverage.
Since its return stateside, the DS 23 has had its hydraulic system serviced by Grand Central Citroën in Redlands, California. It has about 40,000 kilometers (24,000 miles) from new and retains a wonderful original interior; the body is straight, original, and in very good condition. Most importantly, the car has been titled in California, and is street-legal for American roads.
115 hp, 2,347 cc OHV inline four-cylinder engine, five-speed manual transmission, hydro-pneumatic suspension, and hydraulically assisted front disc and rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123 in.
128 hp, 139 cu. in. OHV inline six-cylinder engine with dual Weber twin-choke carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, double wishbone front suspension with torsion bars, hydraulic dampers, and anti-roll bar; solid rear axle with leaf spring suspension, hydraulic dampers, and anti-roll bar; and four-wheel servo-assisted disc brakes. Wheelbase: 104.3 in.
More famous in North America for small cars, Fiat has always produced a wide range of automobiles encompassing virtually every need. Its large “executive cars” were popular with Italian politicians during the 1960s, particularly the 2300, which featured a potent overhead-valve six-cylinder engine and, later, an automatic transmission. It was advanced, stylish, had fine handling and ride qualities, and was quite comfortable – everything that an Italian banker or senator required.
For the banker or senator who wanted to drive himself, in a style that Gianni Agnelli himself could appreciate, there was the svelte 2300 coupe. This limited-production coachbuilt model was styled by Sergio Sartorelli of Ghia and bore a striking resemblance to the ASA and Ferrari 250 GT of the same time period, with round headlights, a long hood, and an airy greenhouse. Power-operated windows, densely padded leather seats, and other cosseting comforts could be found within. The truly sporting 2300 S version boasted a more powerful engine, with two twin-choke Weber carburetors, and a standard four-speed transmission with 3.9:1 final drive, and was a true “driver’s car” with excellent performance.
The 2300 S offered here is one of very few of this model to have come to the United States, where they were not officially sold when new. Acquired in 2014 by a prominent collector and classic automotive museum owner, it underwent a two-year restoration that included stripping the body to bare metal, repairing it properly, and finishing it in a lustrous Blu Notte. The interior was restored as necessary, involving many new pieces; all of the chrome pieces were removed and re-plated, and new rubber seals for the door glass were installed. The brakes were disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled to work well, and the carburetors were rebuilt and properly tuned.
The Safari wagon was Pontiac’s 2-door counterpart to the Chevrolet’s line of the Nomad wagon. In fact, they shared many of the same components and were created by Pontiac’s stylist Paul Gillian. The Safari wagon was produced in the sporty 2-door version from 1955-1957, but nonetheless was outsold by the Nomad 20,092 to 9,094. In 1957 Pontiac began making the full-size 4-door Safari Transcontinental, and added the Safari nameplate to their Chieftrain, Super Chief, and our Star Chief Custom seen here. By 58, Pontiac no longer made their original 2-door sporty Safari, but went on to continue their full-size models as their family wagon.
The ever so famed Metropolitan is best known for first being American car to popularize subcompact cars in the US market. In fact, the Metropolitan conformed to both the economy and subcompact car standards under US guidelines. While most U.S. automobile makers were following a ‘bigger-is-better’ philosophy, Nash Motor Company executives were examining the market to offer American buyers an economical transportation alternative. The Metropolitan was designed as a ‘commuter/shopping car’ with a resemblance to the big Nash, while incorporating a wheelbase shorter than a VW Beetle’s. Nash contracted with British Motor Corporation building its American designed Metropolitan using existing BMC mechanical components utilizing a 1,200 cc (73 cu in) OHV straight-4 Austin ‘A40’ series engine in their first coupes and convertibles models in 1953. In 1954, corporate restructuring began, merging the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation with the Hudson Motor Company to form the American Motors Corporation (AMC), additionally allowing the Metro to become available at Hudson dealers. Furthermore, all Metropolitans were upgraded with an Austin B-series 1200c engine. In 1955, major changes included the B-series engine increasing its capacity to 1,489 cc, two toning becoming available, and houndstooth interior being installed. In September 1957, AMC announced that it was dropping the Nash and Hudson brand names. The Metropolitan was subsequently marketed under the ‘Metropolitan’ name only, and was sold through Rambler dealers. It is believed that the Nash and Hudson Grille medallions were discontinued around September 1956. They were replaced with the ‘M’ style Grille medallion, so technically this could be an AMC Metropolitan or a just a Metropolitan if one wants be really critical.
Equipped with a 327 V-8 (350HP) 4-speed, PS, 3:08 Posi rear, fitted during restoration with 1967 Chevelle front power disc brakes. Additionally, this car has wire wheels, original SS wheel covers, red line tires, bucket seats, and console. It was sold new and one-family owned in Tucson, Arizona. All numbers are matching in this car that was featured as a Hemmings Magazine centerfold.
An American classic, it comes with a 327 300 HP V-8 engine, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, AM/FM radio, power windows, posi-traction, factory air conditioning, original interior, and 61,000 miles. One of the of the first cars to be added to the museum collection, it is one of 270 Corvettes to have factory air conditioning.
-On loan from The Mike Malamut personal collection
The Morris Minor was a British economy car that debuted at the Earls Court Motor Show in London on September 20th 1948. The development of Morris Minor was undertaken by the master British car engineer, Sir Alec Issigonis, whom oversaw the production of 1.3 million Morris Minors that were manufactured from 1948-1971, and was also responsible for pioneering the development of the Mini. Initially available as a 2-door saloon and tourer (convertible), the range was subsequently expanded to include a 4-door saloon in 1950, and in 1952 a wood-framed estate (the Traveller), panel van and pick-up truck variants. The Minor was manufactured in three series, Series I, Series II (1952) and finally the 1000 series (1956). This particular model is a late model Traveller, which features the estate wagon passenger compartment fashioned with wooden trim outlines and a 57.9 cubic inch 1000 series engine, exhibiting a bit of style packaged with economic prowess.
A rare Renault, this deluxe model has a Robri trim package. Imported from France in 1998.
When Citroen released the 2CV car in 1948 it began a 42 yearlong dominant reign of cost efficient transportation for the working class. The 2CV went on to materialize it own conceptions from its tried and tested platform, and in 1951 Citroen gained a foothold in the commercial vehicle market with a utilitarian vehicle that that had the genes of a 2CV, which the French commonly referred to as the “Fourgonnette or Camionnette” meaning little van or truck. The first model the AU putted out 375 cc’s of power and had a top speed of only 60 kph/27 mph but its 250 kg payload made it desirable and soon it became the preferred transport of most small entrepreneurs and artisans. Mechanical changes broadly reflected those of the saloons models and as a result the 425 cc engine became fitted in 1955 when the model designation became AZU. In 1963 the AZU received the 18 bhp engine that also was fitted to the saloons and the corrugations on the upper side panels were removed to facilitate sign writing and doors became hinged on the outside. With the exception of one minor 10cc engine upgrade in 1973 and some small body changes the maturation of the 250kg model was completed. This 250kg model along with a pair of extended 350 kg and 400 kg siblings went service the working public up until its retirement in 1977.
A sierra beige exterior with tan interior and four-speed engine, this car has an AM/FM factory radio. It’s completely original with 95,000 miles. The condition is rated #1. It’s rare to find an original car of this vintage in such pristine condition.
The first year for the 240Z. One owner car, original 30,000 miles,
original paint, original interior, matching numbers (motor and transmission).
-On loan from The Mike Malamut personal collection
First year for the Acura NSX. This is a one-owner California car with an alloy body, mid-engine,
5-speed transmission. Original 270 horsepower engine, original paint and interior with 70,000 miles.
The Datsun 221 went into production in 1959 and lasted briefly until 1960 when it was replaced by the 222 model. The 221 pickup truck is visually identical to the previous 222 except for its cargo section. The bottom of the cargo section on the 221 ends just below the height of the wheel, on the 222 a small skirt section has been added. The 221 truck was available with either a 1000 or 1200 engine. Side mounted badges in the vehicle say DATSUN 1000. Typically, there is a round badge in the center of the dashboard that says DATSUN 1000, or 1200 for the 1200 version. This Datsun pickup happens to be a 1200cc model with a features the Nissan-E OHV 4 cylinder motor that puts out 48 horsepower.
Imported from Italy in 2007, this car is mostly original with a rare roof rack. Sporting a surf board, it’s reminiscent of a pleasant day at the beach.
A rare find, this vehicle is one of only a few which have survived. A model C, it was imported from Italy in 2008.
A four-door vehicle with a beige and white exterior, it’s one of two of it’s type in the Malamut collection
In the early 1920s, brothers Domenico and Attilio Giannini established a small company that prepared Fiats and other cars for the popular Millie Miglia (“thousand mile”) race in Italy. Following World War II, Giannini continued to modify Fiats, building radically altered race and street cars in small production runs that made use of their speed equipment. Because their cars were based on inexpensive and available Fiat components, enthusiasts of limited means were given the opportunity to acquire, operate, and maintain a performance microcar for a fraction of the cost of a Ferrari or Maserati. During the 1960s and 1970s, Carroll shelby had a similar relationship with Ford and constructed some of the best remembered American cars of the era.
Mr. Malamut has always admired this particular model of Fiat, agreeing with the Shelby comparison, whereas Ford would give Shelby a “base” car and he would create an instant classic with his modifications. Giannini would do the same with Fiat. This little Fiat has a dual Weber carburator, Giannini head and manifold, extended oil sump, external oil cooler, special gauge package, and sports a fiberglass hood and engine deck lid. They are very rare cars. Mr. Malamut spent many years looking to acquire one but was unsuccessful because of their rarity.
After becoming America’s first Vespa dealer in 2000 following more than a two-decade hiatus (Vespa was gone, unable to conform to safety and EPA standards) Mr. Malamut was instrumental in helping the Piaggio Corporation become a license/distributor, so much so that he gave Piaggio free office space in his Southern California corporate headquarters, asking nothing in return. One day, the “then” president of Vespa USA, Giancarlo Fantapia, asked Mr. Malamut to take a walk with him downstairs. Upon exiting the elevator, in the corner of his eye, he glimpsed a Giannini race car. He turned to Giancarlo and exclaimed, “I’ve been looking for one of these Gianni’s for years. What a beautiful car!”
He then walked over to the Giannini, both admiring it. After a few minutes, they walked away, but moments later stopped as Giancarlo handed him the keys. Mr. Malamut was perplexed. “I don’t understand,” he asked. The reply: “This is yours; a present. A small gesture from Piaggio for your help with our entry into the United States.”
The car today remains a proud piece of the Malamut Museum.
In 1957 Fiat introduced the Multipla. Using the successful genes of Fiat 600, the Multipla used the 600’s drivetrain, model 1100 coil, and wishbone independent front suspension, and built a compact van that could seat up to 6 people in a footprint just 50 centimeters (19.7 in) longer than the original Mini Cooper. The driver compartment was also moved forward over the front axle, eliminating the boot in effect maximizing the space in a one-box setting. Behind the front seat, the vehicle could be arranged with a flat floor area or a choice of one or two bench seats allowing the Multipla to transform back and forth from a cargo van to a passenger car. Until the 1970s it was widely used as a taxi in many parts of Italy and in other parts of Europe. This Multipla Taxi features both a working meter and cab lights, allowing one a real sense of the transportation that took place during this era.
The Fiat 850 is a small longitudinal-rear-engined rear wheel drive car, which was produced between 1964 and 1973. Its technical design was an evolution of the very successful Fiat 600. The engine of the 850 was based on that of the Fiat 600, but had its capacity increased to 843 cc. The 850 came in two versions: ‘normale’ (standard) with 34 hp (25 kW) and ‘super’ with 37 hp (28 kW). The maximum speed was approximately 125 km/h (78 mph). While it was not a large step forward in technical development, it possessed a certain charm with its large rolling eyes and its short tail, in which the engine sat. The 850 family included several body styles with similar technical components underneath. Fiat launched their revised version of the 850 sedan in 1968. It shared the 47 hp (35 kW) tuned engine of the 850 Coupé that was introduced in 1965, and offered front disc brakes, sport steering wheel and improved trim. With a 25 percent increase in power, plus disc brakes nestled behind 13’ wheels, it was a ‘sport sedan’ in the vein of the BMW 2002, albeit on a smaller scale. This 850 special features a rare ‘Idroconvert’ or semi-automatic transmission. Meaning that it is designed with a normal ‘H’ pattern gearbox, and can be shifted like a manual, but is done without one having using a clutch pedal, as there isn’t one found anywhere on this particular vehicle, all making it very interesting, but a little awkward to anyone who is used to operating a standard manual.
-On loan from The Mike Malamut personal collection
1963 Henkel Trojan
1957 BMW Isetta 250
1963 Triumph TR4
This car has a V-8 with a three-speed transmission. Original color is turquoise black with factory trim rings on the wheels. Inside is a factory AM radio with interior restored to factory specifications. It is in number one condition.
First year for the Acura NSX. This is a one-owner California car with an alloy body, mid-engine,
The MG T series included the TA, TB, TC, TD, and TF models, a range of body-on-frame convertible sports car produced in sequence from 1936 through 1955. The last of these models, the TF, was replaced by the MGA. The TF launched in 1953 was a facelifted TD, fitted with the TD Mark II engine, headlights fared into the fenders, a sloping radiator grille, and a new pressurized cooling system along with a simulated external radiator cap. The 1954 engine, now designated XPEG, was enlarged to 1466 cc by increasing the bore to 72 mm (2.8 in), giving 63 bhp (47 kW) at 5,000 rpm; the car was designated the ‘TF1500’. Production ended on 4 April 1955 after 9,602 TFs had been manufactured, including two prototypes and 3,400 TF1500s. The TF was superseded by the MGA. The TF name was reused in 2002 on the mid-engined MG TF sports car.
A Texas car, this deluxe model is a recent acquisition to the Malamut collection. This car comes equipped with an automatic transmission, V-8 engine, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, four-wheel drive, original interior, and has a factory hard-top with optional soft-top. This car, with 68,000 miles, is in #1 condition.
Evolved from the 4/4, the Plus Four arrived on the British market in 1950, sporting a four-inch longer wheelbase with a different, more powerful engine. This edition of the Morgan (originally restored in 1993) is a four-seat tourer equipped with two smaller back seats. It’s finished in British Racing Green with a tan interior, trimmed in leather with a wood dash and crisp, clean gauges. Discontinued in 1968 with period advertisements declaring it “the last of the real classics,” it is a timeless example of British motoring vehicles..
1941 American Bantam
The Toyota J40 is the model designation for a Toyota Land Cruiser 40 series made from 1960 until 1984. Most 40 series Land Cruisers were built as 2-door SUVs with slightly larger dimensions than a Jeep CJ.
This 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 is an unmodified example that was acquired from a farm in Montana. The 3.8L inline-six, 3-speed manual transmission, interior and sheet metal are all believed to be original. The top is original as well, and was still folded in the original bag when we purchased the truck.
the original owner removed the standard top in favor of a pickup-style cab early in the truck’s life. The currently fitted soft top is original, and was still folded and in the original bag as-acquired by us. The correct steel wheels with hubcaps are still fitted, along with the correct badging and lights.
Power comes from a 3.8L F-series inline six, which is backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. Per the seller, the truck has only required tune-up work and has been very reliable. The seller states that the truck runs and drives well, with a smooth motor and transmission.
This 1969 Jeep Wagoneer remained with a single family in Illinois before being acquired by us and moved to California in 2005. The first owners reportedly only used the truck locally, and the interior and 350ci Dauntless V8 are believed original. The body was repainted in its factory color about 20 years ago, and the wheels feature the correct front hubcaps for engaging the front axles of the 4wd system.
A period-correct CB radio is fitted under the glovebox. The 26k indicated miles are believed to be accurate.
The Jaguar XJ is the name of a series of full-size luxury cars sold by the British automobile brand, Jaguar Cars since 1968. Since 1970 they have been Jaguar’s flagship. The original model was the last Jaguar saloon to have had the input of Sir William Lyons, the company’s founder.
The car was introduced in September 1968. Power-assisted steering and leather upholstery were standard on the 2.8 L De Luxe and 4.2 L models and air conditioning was offered as an optional extra on the 4.2 L.
Daimler versions were launched in October 1969, in a series of television advertisements featuring Sir William. In these spots, he referred to the car as “the finest Jaguar ever”. An unusual feature, inherited from the Mark X and S-Type saloons, was the provision of twin fuel tanks, positioned on each side of the boot / trunk, and filled using two separately lockable filler caps: one on the top of each wing above the rear wheel arches. Preliminary reviews of the car were favorable, noting the effective brakes and good ride quality.
In March 1970 it was announced that the Borg-Warner Model 8 automatic transmission, which the XJ6 had featured since 1968, would be replaced on the 4.2-litre-engined XJ6 with a Borg-Warner Model 12 unit. The new transmission now had three different forward positions accessed via the selector lever, which effectively enabled performance oriented drivers to hold lower ratios at higher revs to achieve better acceleration. “Greatly improved shift quality” was also claimed for the new system.
This 1962 International Harvester Travelall remained with the previous owner in Idaho from 1972 until we purchased it several years ago. The truck had been kept in storage for 25 years. The 392ci IHC V8 was rebuilt seven years ago. It is equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission. We did an interior refresh which included new seat covers, floor covers, and additional sound deadening.